Sunday 8 July 2012

A Taste of the North... (part 2)

I felt it in my fingers. I felt it in my toes.
The Lake District was all around us...and it was indeed Wet Wet Wet...

Well, welcome back to my Lake District recap. As you may remember, in part one of this epic photoshoot of almost holiday like proportions, we had some very nice weather for the first half of our stay. Very nice weather. Suspiciously nice weather.

The more astute among you may have predicted a slide into a torrential rain for the second half of our trip. Well done - you're quite right!

The plus side of torrential rain is that you can take photos like this, with lovely clouds lurking menacingly over the top of hills:




Corking stuff there taken from the Ullswater Steamers. I am definitely getting ahead of myself, because before we decided to spend our last morning safely ensconced in the floating bar of the Ullswater Steamers (The good ship "Raven", for anybody that happens to be interested), we thought we'd head back out in the hills for our final full day.



The hills, fortunately or unfortunately, looked like that. A beautiful sight for a photographer, a not so beautiful sight for a hillwalker. Who am I kidding, that stuff's AWESOME! Unfortunately the rain did have the ide effect of getting my lens very wet - I might put some failed photos up here soon to show just how blurry some of them got! Fortunately for me, my favourite setting came out reasonably unscathed - although there are significant rain blurs, they stayed out of the way of the important elements! Here it is, a little gateway on top of a big ridge:


Now that's my kind of photo! I had a version with a nicer composition (where you could properly see the path running along the ridge through the gate), but unfortunately it got rained on, so this was the best surviving copy - I'm still pretty pleased with it, especially the whole atmosphere...gloomy, wet, and windy, but most importantly isolated, mysterious and ... well, a picture speaks a thousand words and all that. But it was epic on that hill, so there.

Nearly done now, honest. But in honour of the fact that East Bergholt STILL has bunting up everywhere, despite the Jubilee being weeks ago, Eurovision being well over, Andy Murray being out of Wimbledon and England's abysmal Euro 2012 performance - here is a flag.


Don't you dare say I'm not patriotic. Ish.

Even more finally (honest), here's Ross and Thomas. I've been blithely typing "we" throughout this - except in the cases where I really meant "I" by "we", they and me were "we". Apologies to any English language students who have just collapsed. Anyway, first a damp Ross, and then an "artistically" blurred (read: water on the lens) shot of Thomas with a wonderfully Rossy foreground. Stunning.










Anyhow, thanks for sticking with me. Anybody reaching this far down the post is fully entitled to reward themselves and brag about it by posting a link to this page on Facebook. Who says I never give you anything?!

Proper finally - thanks to the aforementioned "we" (i.e - Ross and Thom - let's not get into that grammar malarky again!) for making it a great trip - let's do it again sometime, yeah? Great.

Ta ta for now,

J

No comments:

Post a Comment